Empowering Parents offers support for teenage parents and their parents, two populations who often find themselves with limited resources and a high level of need. This program serves these groups by offering education and prevention services to help families strengthen relationships and reduce the risk of teenage pregnancy.
When teenagers and their families face an unexpected pregnancy, limited resources can strain existing relationships and make proactive decision-making even more difficult for everyone involved.
Empowering Parents program is designed for teenagers who are pregnant or at risk for unplanned pregnancy, who are parenting (or are single parents), and who are in troubled relationships. The program also serves the parents of the teenagers.
The services provided by this program include:
- Family living & parenthood classes (semester-long, high school credit classes)
- Workshops for teenagers who are pregnant and/or parenting
- Parent and teen communication workshops
- Child care is provided when necessary (typically offered at the schools)
- Pre- and post-assessment tools
- Resource lists and parenting handouts
- The Love Notes Curriculum, created by The Dibble Institute
- Guest speakers on area resources and parenting tools/skills
- Interactive classes and workshops
- Supportive atmosphere
- Exit surveys